Friday, August 2, 2013


A Wyoming grandmother said she thought she was going to die when she was shot in the face last month. 

The shooting happened at just before 1 a.m. July 1 in the 2600 block of Longfellow Avenue SW. The woman, who asked not to be identified because the shooter is still at large, was home with her 7-year-old granddaughter. Police say she was not the intended target. 

"There were so many bullets. They tried to kill someone. They were serious and they were angry," the victim recalled. 

One of those bullets went through her cheek, around her nasal passage, and out the corner of her right eye. It shattered her cheek bones. A plastic surgeon had to insert metal plates in her face. 

"They had to place my eyes on the plates, to sit them back up," she said. "I'm still having trouble with my vision, but it's coming back." 

She remembers lying on the floor and feeling her eye start to swell. Her granddaughter saw it all.      

"And I'm on my elbows and we're talking and she's saying, 'You're gonna be OK, Granny,' and I said, 'I'm gonna be fine,'" she said. 

She said she first thought she was going to die. 

"Then God brought me peace and let me know I was going to be OK," she said. "I just thank God for saving me. He didn't have to save me. ... But whatever it is he has left for me to do, I'm going to try to live up to it." 

Witnesses told police they saw two males get out of a vehicle before the shooting and then drive away. Police haven't made any arrests.
"What could you be thinking? How could come and shoot someone's home? I don't know who you're looking for, but how could you do that?  You don't know who was there," she wondered of the shooter.
She hopes her story will prompt someone to come forward. 

"They need to be off the street. It's too much anger. They're going to hurt someone," she said. 

Detectives said they don't believe this was a random act of violence. They say there was a specific target and they are working to find out who that was.

No comments:

Post a Comment