THE EDITOR'S BOX





Monday, August 29, 2011

CAN U FUCKERS READ: COMPLEX MAGAZINE: Freddie Gibbs Talks About Lil B, Drake, Wale & Big Sean



And what about Big Sean? He’s got a lane.
Yeah…he’s got a lane… These niggas don’t know what they want to be. If it was the most popping shit to be the most gangsta nigga—like it was back in the day—I guarantee them niggas would be on some hard shit. I guarantee they’d be twisting their fingers up. They already be trying to do it! It’ll be the element of niggas they be around and then they get on that brolic shit. Drake be throwing gang signs and shit, I be seeing whatever the fuck he’s throwing up. I don’t know. He go to the wrong place and he’ll be fucked up.
It’s just the nature of the times. It’s cool to be that corny motherfucker wearing the little jeans now, I guess. Girls like that. It’s cool to be the pretty boy. I don’t even know what these niggas is. I can’t even pinpoint them. I just be like, “What are you, my nigga? What’s your story?” I don’t like rap that doesn’t have a story behind it.
Like, you was just working at K-Mart and started rapping or something like that? It’s the backspin behind shit. How can I get to know you as a person by listening to your music? And what am I getting? What experience are you bringing me outside of a nigga rapping about fucking some bitches and you being hot? I just saw a Yung Berg video where he keeps being like, “Don’t make me do it.” I’m like, “Don’t make you do what? Get your chain took again?”
Anyone can make music now, that’s the thing. The floodgates is open for that shit. And when you get into that level, the quality goes down. A lot of these schmucks just rap on good ass beats. They pick a hot ass beat and it’s outta here because the DJ likes that beat. He’s gonna play that beat because people like that beat. But the motherfucker on the song is a dick.
You think that’s true of a lot of hip-hop?
Most of it.
When we started this interview you were talking about Maybach Music, do you think that’s true for them?
I think they make cool shit, that’s, they stay in they…whatever. I don’t really pay attention to them man, I’m too focused on CTE so I don’t know. But I know individualy all of them dudes…I don’t know. I don’t listen to Wale. Pill’s solid. Ross makes solid records. I don’t know Meek Mill too much, but I definitely don’t listen to Wale’s shit.
Why not?
Cause it ain’t my shit.
Well Wale’s definitely someone I’d compare to a Big Sean-kind of guy.
What kind of guy is that? See, you can’t even fucking pinpoint it. You can’t even put these niggas in a box and label it. All of these niggas. Big Sean, Wale. You just said “Big Sean is like a Wale kind of guy.” What is that? Fucking weirdos, right?
No, the weirdos would be like Lil B. That’s Swag Rap.
That’s some buttfuck rap. That’s a whole issue. I’m saying, you can’t even put these niggas [like Wale and Big Sean] in a category. You don’t know what the fuck they are. I’m a gangsta rapper. That shit is just like if you had a box in here of shit you didn’t want, it was just miscellaneous shit, that’s where you’d throw them niggas. It’s a box of lost and found shit.
Well yeah, I guess they’re more alternative hip-hop.
What the fuck is alternative hip-hop? When did that shit get made up? Watch, next year that’s going to be a category at the Grammys. Alternative hip-hop. What the fuck is that?
Well it’s not gangsta rap.
See, that’s the thing though, not all rap’s gotta be gangsta rap. De La Soul wasn’t gangsta rap. But that shit is classic. A Tribe Called Quest wasn’t gangsta rap, but that shit is classic.
But that’s Native Tongues, though. That had a genre.
Right, what’s this new niggas’ genre?
I’m sure there’s an actual name for this genre, I just can’t think of it off the top.
I don’t know man, I just make real rap. Put me in my own box, just don’t put me in a box with them niggas.



No comments:

Post a Comment